Connecticut authorities fine residents $1,000 after they fail to fill out compulsory COVID-19 form
Two Connecticut residents have been fined $,1000 each for failing to fill out a compulsory health form after they returned from areas of the country designated as ‘COVID-19 hot spots’.
Governor Ned Lamont confirmed Monday that state authorities slapped the two with the penalty after they got back from spending time in Louisiana and Florida respectively.
‘We’re going to continue to be strict because that’s what got us to where we are. We’re going to try to hold people accountable,’ Lamont told The Hartford Courant.
‘I hate to do it but we’re going to show people we’re serious about this’.
Like neighboring New York, Connecticut was badly effected by the COVID-19 outbreak in March and April, before the curve started to flatten.
Governor Ned Lamont (center) confirmed Monday that state authorities have fined two residents $1,000 each after they failed to complete an online health form after they returned from spending time in Louisiana and Florida respectively
The state has recorded no new coronavirus cases in the past three days.
Back in June, Gov Lamont joined New York Gov Andrew Cuomo and New Jersey Gov Phil Murphy in enacting a travel advisory which ordered travelers to quarantine for two weeks if they arrived from nine states that were determined to be coronavirus hot spots.
The advisory has since been expanded to 34 states. States are added if they record ‘a new daily positive test rate higher than 10 per 100,000 residents or a 10 percent or higher positivity rate over a seven-day rolling average’.
Last month, Gov Lamont additionally signed an executive order allowing the Connecticut Department of Public Health to issue $1,000 fine for travelers or returning residents who do not complete an online travel form.
The short form asks questions about the person’s trip and details about where they intend to self-isolate.
Like neighboring New York, Connecticut was badly effected by the COVID-19 outbreak in March and April, before the curve started to flatten. Medical workers are seen in Stamford back in March
Lamont’s order additionally allowed the Department to fine people an extra $1,000 if they did not properly quarantine.
On Monday, the governor did not disclose the names of the two offenders.
However, he did say that they were both reported to authorities by their concerned co-workers.
One of the offenders reportedly broke self-isolation, and thus received a $2,000 fine all up.
According to Lamont’s office, several more returning residents are also under investigation and may be fined.
Lamont says the biggest risk of a second wave in the state comes from travelers and returning residents, rather than community transmission.
‘Overwhelmingly, people are doing the right thing. For those few of you who aren’t, please be on notice,’ he stated.
As of Tuesday, Connecticut has recorded more than 50,500 COVID-19 cases, and upwards of 4,400 deaths.
CONNECTICUT’S EXECUTIVE ORDER
Returning residents and travelers must fill out online health form and quarantine if they have arrived from: